Sunday, March 28, 2010

Yipppeee.... 1941 trousers are finished!!

I've been working on the trousers from Simplicity #3688.  The original pattern was from 1941:



I made it out of some amazing navy blue, English lightweight wool that I found in a charity shop (only in the UK can you find lots of wool and tweed fabric in charity shops!!)

I am really happy with how it turned out!  They are super comfortable:


And the back:

I did a tissue fitting and then another fitting with all the pieces pinned together and I didn't need any alterations.  I love that they are high-waisted and very comfortable.  You'll recognize the blouse as the DuBarry pattern from 1942 that I put together a couple of months ago.

These pants were really quick to sew up.  I did learn, however, that I am not a visual person.  It took me 3 hours, I kid you not, to figure out how to pin the four pant legs together to get the trousers!!!  I'd end up with two legs together or one inside out or backwards--I think I did every possible combination....hehehe...maybe it was just that night I was working on it because the next day it was super easy to figure out!  Thank god I am not an engineer!! :-)  Once I figured out what was attached to what, it was easy peasy to sew!


I also did my first lapped zipper:



I'm working now on a couple of blouses to go with my new trousers! YAY!
SHARE:

27 comments

  1. Wow, impressed! I'm also terrible at visualization and probably would have spent even longer trying to put the pieces together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Lawrence GrantMarch 28, 2010 5:47 PM

    They look absolutely splendid on you! You're so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came out great! They look really flattering and chic. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. *That was supposed to be a smiley face! :) I'm typing in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look fantastic! And even in photos that wool looks lovely, they must be great to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these, especially the side button! I keep meaning to pick up this pattern. I know what you mean about not being visual - I did the same thing making pants (and everything else I make!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're so elegant and they fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is a perfect fit. Very impressed, they look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! You look fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty and so smart! Hard to believe from looking at these that some people regarded slacks for women as the beginning of a slippery slope towards the collapse of civilization. Although, considering the rise of all-season tracksuit and the slanket, maybe they were right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are fantastic! I really want a pair for myself now. You've done such a beautiful job, and they look wonderful with your blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice! And they do look comfty :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. heh - that thing with sewing the pants legs together, I did exactly the same thing last week when I had to make a tissue fitting for my first pair of pants...but I learned ;)

    Your pants look really great...maybe I should try that pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're fantastic! Well done you. Loving the hair too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh I love them! They look fantasic, such a great fit for no alterations! I may have to check out that pattern after all...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! I've been eyeing this pattern, you've officially made up my mind, on to the to-do list it goes!

    xx
    bettydarling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are some really great pants! I'm going to snatch this pattern up next time it's on sale. They're made so nicely. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look great especially with the blouse. Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was actually contemplating this pattern just today and now Im going to have to go back for it. You did an incredible job! Yay

    ReplyDelete
  20. They looks great, good job! I think they are perfectly matched with that blouse to... :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh! They look amazing. I'll have to go buy the pattern. And whoever figured out how to sew pants together was a genius because it IS a weird process.
    Did you use my lapped zipper tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how cute! Great pants, I especially like the last photo, you look so pleased! I found your blog through your comment on Erica's blog and look forward to taking a good read-through when I have more time :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. this look is fabulous on you. damn you for giving me new ideas i really didn't need!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am now buying this pattern - you have inspired me to give these a go! I completely overlooked these retro patterns from Simplicity but I am going to make these in a summer weight fabric and a heavier weight for autumn/winter. 
    Do you think they would make up in a medium weight drill? I see them in tobacco brown or sand like the fabrics at Old Town... http://www.old-town.co.uk/fabrics_pages/fab_twill_denim_canvas.htm

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment--thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig