Friday, March 25, 2011

Behind the scenes with David

Hey, all.

First off, thank you for being so supportive of Debi - she loves sewing but your responses on this blog have really contributed to her feeling passionate about her hobby.   For someone who loves her, it's great to see her find something she truly enjoys, and to see others give her so much encouragement.  I'm very proud of her and what she's been able to accomplish, but seeing your feedback increases that a hundredfold.   It's been great to witness new connections forming with her fellow seamstresses.


So...this post has been a long time coming.   I had originally thought of it on Valentine's Day, when Debi had completed her outfit minutes before we had to walk out and get to the Voodoo Rooms (where we had a table reserved).  I thought the whole experience was sort of amusing, hearing the machine upstairs running furiously as the minutes ticked away, calling the restaurant to push our reservation back half an hour, then walking out the door, dressed to the nines, ready for an elegant, relaxing and romantic evening before the sewing machine had had a chance to cool.

Anyone who saw Debi in her outfit that night would never have imagined that a) she'd made it herself, and b) that she'd finished it only minutes before.   It was stunning, and I personally hope she'll either wear the gown again or will make it in other colours (although being a Taurus, red did quite well, thank you very much).

I enjoy going up to Debi's sewing room with fresh pot of tea while she's in the "creative trance."



As a bystander, it's wild to walk into someone's work space when they're in the middle of a project.*

 
in my case, I'm usually met with the chaos of an ironing board covered with various bits of fabric and tissue pinned together,


a million and six strands and fuzzy bits, several teacups filled at varying levels, a minefield of pins camouflaged by bits of faux fur on the carpet, and my beloved seamstress bent over  her Singer machine, singing away.
 

It's great to see her so involved, to help her sort out the snags, to be a part of the satisfaction she feels when it all comes together, and to see her looking fantastic at the end of it all.



This look says it all, for me.


So again, thank you all for being so supportive, and for being such a big, positive part of Debi's journey.  I know she appreciates you, and I am eternally grateful.

Warm regards,
David



*You should see my space during exams or essay-writing.  In fact, here's my space (on a good day).
SHARE:

31 comments

  1. What a precious post! I loved reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! And it gives us such a look into your life, something I love seeing from fellow bloggers. Makes me feel like I know you a bit more. So wonderful! It's so refreshing to hear from the "other half" about things that make you happy and what makes you tick! Love it!

    xoxo,
    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! A great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. David, it's wonderful to see how much you support Debi's hobby. Also I loved the bowtie you made to go with her Valentines Day dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so nice! You two are so lovely, and every seamstress definitely needs a supportive partner to be their sewing partner in crime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh David, that's so sweet of you to post here. Thank you for supporting Debi in her passion. Though we love our supporters and blog followers the undrestanding and patience of our precious ones is countless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post to read, it is wonderful to see your pride in Debi's passion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, so nice to 'meet' you! Thanks for this post, it's lovely to see bloggers you enjoy from another view point, and lovely to see you're so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, how nice!
    Loving the Pith helmet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww what a sweet post! Nice to meet you David :)
    I go into a 'creative trance' too, if I've been sewing all day my OH can tell when he gets home from work. He says its like I'm in a world of my own and I float around getting in everybody's way and being extra clumsy! lol
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post to read, truly heart-warming. I must say though, Debi is a constant sewing inspiration to me, so she deserves all the support she gets ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what a cute couple you are. David you found a secret to your woman's heart, seeing the beauty she can offer with her own hands and appreciating her creative spirit by joining and supporting her in this journey. It takes a special and thoughtful man to see this. My hubby does the same, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a post made ​​with the heart, indeed ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so sweet! You've gotta love love. What a stunning dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw! I hope you have more guest posts from David! Plus I like seeing your sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my! What a lovely post. So heartfelt and sweet. :) I loved seeing Debi's sewing space and reading about your perspective on it. I hope you'll come and guest post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How sweet. . . thank you for sharing. :D It's so neat to be able to see your point of view - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww! LOVING the love in this post. I so need to show this to my other half, lol!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know from experience how wonderful it is to see your partner at their happiest doing something they love. It's lovely that you not only support Debi's passion, but truely apreciate how much it means to her. Top man :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. awwww what a sweet post!
    Samantha x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was truly great to read! It is always so nice to read about someone else's view of people you like and admire, getting to see them through another pair of eyes :) And very sweet indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh! How lovely! What a fascinating insight into the partner's point of view. Especially the part about what it's like to observe the creative space as a by-stander. Such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post was so incredibly sweet! Debi is a very lucky lady (and to get a fresh pot of tea delivered to her very own sewing space - heavenly!). I'm truly in awe of Debi starting with vintage patterns when learning to sew and then tackling a modern pattern only recently. Go Debi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks everyone for your comments. I can't say enough about how amazing Debi is. I don't know how she balances it all - a full-time job, consulting projects, me, super-hero-godessness...she really is an amazing soul, and it is a joy to see her indulge in something she loves so wholeheartedly.

    There is much about vintage sewing that matches our values - the 20s, 30s and 40s represent a time when people were a bit closer-knit, and had to live within their means, and find creative ways to make their lives amazing. We love the music from that age (and hope to fit-in dancing lessons soon), and the fact that so much was hand-crafted and made to last. Those times were tough as well, but people did more for themselves (and one another) back then, we feel.

    That said, this online sewing community has shown that that spirit is alive and well, and I have hopes that we can make bring this theme back to our society again.
    Right. More tea.
    Thank you all, once again. Your encouragement has made this more than a hobby for Debi.

    ReplyDelete
  26. David, you are a fabulous guest blogger - this was a great read! And very sweet, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, what a sweet post! Nice to hear from you, David! I loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awww, I just saw this! Debi's red dress was AMAZING! So nice of you to write a guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WHAT A WONDERFUL POST!!!! if blogger had a bigger size font for the comments, i would be at like an 86! when i read at sew weekly that you picked out debi's pattern and fabric for her union jack hoodie, it was obvious you were a catch, but really, i had no idea. A FRESH POT OF TEA. dying over here.

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment--thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig