Thursday, March 1, 2012

Join Me in the Sew Cinematic Challenge

Wow--missing a week in blogland feels like FOREVER!  Our little Ebi who was pictured in the last post (aka 'kittenypoo') was really sick this past week.  She's doing a bit better now but she still has good days and bad days.  Despite looking like a kitten, she's 15 years old and the winter's been hard for her.  So keep our little bundle of love in your thoughts and prayers and hopefully we'll have our active, purring and playing kittenypoo back to her normal self again soon!

In other news--I am super EXCITED to announce a fun challenge I'm co-hosting...


With these lovely ladies: Sarah from Rhinestones and Telephones, Solvi from Delfinelise, Meg from Meg the Grand, and the lovely Veronica Darling!

How fun is this?  Ok, here's the idea...

Taking inspiration from the film, stage and television to create some garments either inspired by our favourite actors/actresses or by our favourite films, stage productions or television shows! 
 OH YES!

Here's some of the categories in the challenge:

FROCKS FROM THE FLICKS
From Givenchy's iconic black dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's, to Marilyn's white halter dress from The Seven Year Itch, to Scarlett's velvet curtain dress from Gone With the Wind, frocks of all styles and eras have left their mark on cinematic history. Whether you are inspired by an icon or simply by a pretty frock only just glimpsed, this is the place to let your dress dreams run wild!

TINSELTOWN TOPPERS
There are so many beautiful blouses and tops that have graced the silver screens, both large and small. Katharine Hepburn's masculine tailored white shirts, which she wore throughout her life, is one that easily springs to my mind. Whether you are inspired by crisp tailoring or flowing lines, toppers of all styles are welcome here.

FEATURE FILM FOUNDATIONS
From Rizzo's slinky black trousers in Grease to Marsha's fabulous flares in The Brady Bunch, to Joan's sensational pencil skirts in Mad Men, skirts, trousers, capris, and shorts are the way to go here!

SLIP INTO THE SILVER SCREEN
Elizabeth Taylor cornered the market on slinky sultriness with her simple white slip in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Whether you want to channel your own Inner Liz or mould you figure to a more Lilly Langtry frame of mind, this is the place to sew yourself some small clothes.

THE SWEATER GIRL
Nothing says silver screen style quite like the sweater girl. No sweater girl is better remembered than Lana Turner. Whether v-neck, pullover, or cardigan is your style, knitted inspiration can be found here. For those more inclined to sew, how about a Pink Ladies jacket? Let's not forget our headgear, either! Here is the place to show your outerwear!

THE ABILITY TO ACCESSORIZE
Accessories of all sorts are welcome here! Nifty hats, lacy shawls, beautiful brooches, and natty socks. Whatever puts that finishing touch on your ideal outfit should be shown off here!


Who's in?  There's a flickr group and you can grab a button for your blog from Sarah's blog post.  I can't wait to share some of my ideas over the next couple of days and to get your feedback on a few undecided ideas!!!  So technically the challenge is going to happen until the end of May but I can just fess up now that I probably won't be finishing all my garments until mid-June as they are for specific events.....more to come soon!!
SHARE:

31 comments

  1. Ooh, how exciting! And since you're going to do it through May it's probably something I can actually participate in (my sewing machine is packed until the end of March when we move). I have been in desperate need of a perfect white blouse a la Katharine, so perhaps I'll do that!

    I will definitely be thinking of your kitty. Sending lots of healthy cat love thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm definitely in!

    Hopefully your kitty is going to get better soon. 15 years is an honorable age for a cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debi_myhappysewingplaceMarch 01, 2012 7:20 PM

    YAY!  ooohhh your move is coming up soon! How exciting!  Thanks for the well wishes for kitty....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi_myhappysewingplaceMarch 01, 2012 7:21 PM

    Thanks Leea :) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I am so excited to be hosting with you and the other lovely ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been inspired, I know exactly what I can make to be a part of this! I do not, anywhere in my wardrobe, own a LBD...I am patiently awaiting the arrive of a Vogue pattern, from the 50's, to arrive in the post. The style is simple and sleek and will be perfect and similar to an LBD I've seen photos of Ms. Audrey Hepburn in. I want to make it in Black Silk Faille. I sent a little karmic vibration to your kitty, I hope she returns to health very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm so in! Can I choose an old international films (I'm thinking India!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a neat idea! I'm going to get my thinking cap on. There is a dress in the movie Annie (that Grace wears, not Annie) that I have loved for YEARS!  It's yellow and she wears it in the scene to prance around singing "we've got Annie".... Or something like that ;-)

    Big hug to your cat - I hope she gets better soon.  Unwell cats are full of woe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww I wish I could sign myself up but I'm doing so badly at keeping up with challenges these days, it's probably best I don't make a promise right now ;) but I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admit it, I am very, very tempted.  Of course that now means I have to go hunting for the perfect outfit from the films to make...  I shall certainly be thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a good idea! I'm so excited, I definitely want to join in! I recently watched The Notorious Bettie Page and I would love to recreate one of the looks from that! maybe I can combine this with some stash busting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo, how exciting! I think I can finish something by May - count me in :-). I can't wait to see everyone's wonderful creations!

    I do hope the kitty feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice challenge... I was about to say I won't have time for it but with it running until the end of May... I should be able to try and fit that in. I'll think on it.

    By the way, thanks for your comment on my 1912 project skirt. We're not in the same group, are we? I'm in group 3. Anyway, if you have any questions about the skirt, just email me or leave a comment on my blog. 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debi_myhappysewingplaceMarch 02, 2012 11:09 AM

    An Audrey inspired LBD would be fabulous! Thanks for the kitten well wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debi_myhappysewingplaceMarch 02, 2012 11:10 AM

    Definitely! That would be so much fun! I can't see wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debi_myhappysewingplaceMarch 02, 2012 11:10 AM

    Brilliant! I loved that movie (may have to go watch again to see that dress!)  Maybe we'll find some perfect fabric at the expo :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debi_myhappysewingplaceMarch 02, 2012 11:11 AM

    I know what you mean! I'm pretty bad at keeping up on things as well....especially sew-alongs...I like the looser 'challenges' better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debi_myhappysewingplaceMarch 02, 2012 11:12 AM

    BRILLLIANT!  Are you planning on doing your UFO challenge in April as well?  I've got a few things I want to finish--a little sewing spring cleaning ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debi_myhappysewingplaceMarch 02, 2012 11:13 AM

    YES! They just moved us into group 3!  I have yet to print or make the skirt and probably won't get to it until mid to end of March...but I am super excited about the possibilities.  I love the way it drapes and your muslin is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've just received my first vintage pattern in the post, a Betty Grable Hollywood pattern, so what better challenge to try it out with!   Great that there's plenty of time to plan it all out.  Hope the kitty cat is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i hope your ebi is better!

    loving this challenge, of course NONE of my recently acquired stash will fit it.  ah well, downtown is just a drive away...

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many great movie costumes and "sew" little time!! Best wishes for the kitty!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, poor kittenypoo! Walnut sends his warmest cat wishes.

    This challenge looks like a fantastic idea, although having just sewn a movie-inspired frock, I don't know that I have room in my closet for another one. Hmmm, time to rack my brains (and DVD collection). 

    ReplyDelete
  24.  Oh thank you! It's a surprise but I've already started gathering my supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I'm going to keep it going for the rest of the year! I'm trying to plan my stash  busting by season so it makes sense to keep it going all year so I can work on a whole variety of different projects. You should definitely get involve if you can, it's very relaxed and you can join in whenever you want :) 

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wish your precious little Ebi many great days and excellent health.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sending happy, healthy, healing thoughts for your Ebi!  Fur babies are such precious things.

    I am so excited about this challenge!  I have two cinematic inspired dressed in mind, the second of which may take me into June along with you.  I am going to visit your co-hosts, grab a button, and share my details in a week or so when my fabric arrives. Thanks for sharing!
    xo, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Usually I don't participate on similar challenges because my everchanging schedules, but this is definetly raising my interest. I have absolutely no idea what kind of outfit I could do, but since there is time till the end of May, I might be able to pull it through. And since my friend and colleague Leea seems to be participating aswell, I just have to join in  :D we share the same work space. 

    Many happy thoughts to your kittenypoo in respectably high age. Hopefully she'll be better when the spring and warmth comes.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My Lady Mary blouse is definitely happening now! And I just found some fabric similar enough for it. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30.  I am totally excited, there is nothing more exciting than making plans for sewing (in my opinion)...I can't wait to see what you make, your items are always smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. ConstantlyAliceMarch 08, 2012 6:01 PM

    Ahhhh!!  I'm working on sooo many projects right now, but this looks like so much fun...I'll just have to sew realllly fast so I can join in ;)

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment--thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig