Saturday, April 30, 2016

March Accessories: Snowdrops


Several weeks ago we had the appearance of the first snowdrops of spring.  I forgot to post these photos then but our recent cold spell reminded me of these wonderful little flowers that hint at a promise of warmer weather to come!

The snowdrops were also the perfect backdrop for my accessories challenge.  Back in January, I made a black crepe dress using one of my 1940 McCall patterns.  Aptly named "Tabula Rasa" or blank slate, my plan is to see how many different ways I can accessorise this dress over the course of the year.


The dress is a perfect companion to my latest obsession – Miriam Haskell jewellery.  Miriam Haskell was a costume jewellery designer from the late 1920s to the late 60s.  I absolutely adore her early 1940s pieces and am saving up to buy a special piece from that period.  My dear David gave me a 1950s/60s Haskell set for my birthday consisting of a fantastic white beaded necklace, matching bracelet and earrings.



As we were heading out the door to go to the park, it started raining.  So I reached for my umbrella, a cute black and white polka dot frilly thing that David picked up at a charity shop for me, and it turned out to match perfectly!


And the shoes! Let me tell you about the shoes!  As some of you might know, I'm allergic to the chemicals they use to tan leather, so I have to be extra careful about my shoes and I'm always on the lookout for cute vintage looking, non leather pairs.  On my recent trip to the States, I stocked up on some Aris Allen swing dancing shoes--and I love them all!  Seriously, cutest shoes ever and very well cushioned.  I know I am not supposed to wear these outside (because they are meant for the dance floor) but I do anyways! I have these exact shoes in black too.

Here's a close-up of the necklace and earrings:


As we were having a stroll around the park, the perfect sunset appeared.  I just love the look of the trees with the sun in the background:


Overall, I'm delighted with my new accessories and love the white on black look.


I'm already plotting and planning for future mix and match ensembles.  What colours do you like best with black??
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment--thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig